The Certified Observer Network is a group of Boston youth program community members trained in the use of the Assessment of Program Practices Tool (APT), a research-validated quality assessment tool developed by the National Institute on Out-of-School Time (NIOST). With an Observer Certification from Boston Beyond, program staff can:
- Confidently observe and assess their own program using the APT.
- Join a cohort of trained individuals that observe and assess programs in Boston Beyond’s collective impact initiatives.
- See best practices in action throughout Boston, and network with fellow professionals in the field.
Boston Beyond’s Certified Observer Training is a two step process:
- Step 1: Complete a two-day APT training (valued at $1,500), including a practice site visit with a NIOST Master Observer
- Step 2: Observe another program in Boston Beyond’s network in tandem with a NIOST Master Observer. Compare assessment ratings with the master observer to establish inter-rater reliability.
- Step 3: Certified Observers then conduct either one summer program observation or two school year program observations per calendar year.
Please contact Emily Dodge at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested in learning more.
Observer Certification Handout